The kind of lifestyle you lead goes a long way in determining how you look. Once a person reaches 40, signs of aging will have definitely started to appear, such as wrinkles, grey hair, crow's feet, dry skin and more. However, it is not just the outside of your body that age. If not taken care of, the internal organs start losing their vitality as well; this exposes them to a wide range of diseases.
The primary cause of aging in living being is the accumulation of free radicals in the body. Scientific research has shown that there are indeed some foods that can reverse the ravages of free-radicals. There are many diets that will show you how to look 10 years younger and they all have two things in common-lots of water, and food that is rich in antioxidants.
What are the foods that make one look younger?
- Berries: Most berries like raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and even the humble tomato are packed with antioxidants and vitamins A, C and E.
- Nuts: Nuts rich in selenium (an antioxidant) include macadamia nuts, hazelnuts, walnuts, almonds and Brazil nuts. Almonds are specially recommended for anti-aging purposes as they contain Omega-6 fatty acids, which are instrumental in lowering LDL cholesterol levels and improve the skin and hair.
- Citrus fruit: All sorts of citrus fruits like lemons, oranges, limes and grapefruit are rich in ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) which is an anti-aging ingredient. Moreover, it helps in collagen synthesis that keeps the skin elastic and firm.
- Tea: Both black tea and green tea contain several important compounds like flavonoids, tannins and other minerals that are great for anti aging purposes. Whether consumed cold or hot, tea is one beverage that will definitely help you fight the free radicals.
- Sea Fish: These are rich in some important fatty acids that are good for the brain and also contain trace amounts of selenium. Oily sea fish may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it is packed with omega-3 fatty acids that protect the body from free radicals and their effects.
- Water: Though it’s not a food, water is the best and most efficient way to look younger. Those who drink 3 or more litres of water a day, are generally much healthier than those who drink 2 or less. Water is of key importance in flushing out toxins from your body. Water makes your skin glow, regulates bowel movements and keeps your blood at the right consistency.
Additionally, drinking more water is excellent protection against kidney stones.